Rumble Fighter Private Server

Discussion in 'General Programming & Reversing' started by Energizer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Energizer

Energizer Renown Java Programmer

Hello, this project has been though over for quite some time now. I can't help myself giving up the idea of a rumble fighter private server, specially to be the first one out, so I might go through with it finally and get this out of my head haha.

There's two ways I have thought of going about this so far :

I could write the entire project in java. Why java?, I wouldn't have to worry about dependencies, also I'm more familiar with it's syntax and libraries. The hardest part this way would be developing the client, as i'm mainly only familiar with working on server sided projects. A bonus about a custom client is I could develop the lobby handler that would host all the lobbies on a 1 or 2 Gbit line, reducing most of the current lag issues with rumble fighter currently. With a java based client, I could put it on a webpage and let users play directly from there web browser. Kinda funny how I could make the private server more secure than the official rumble fighter by making everything server sided and verifying every single packet being sent, thus stopping hackers. Something that rumble fighter didn't do because they're cheap and can't afford a decent dedicated server.

Another way of doing this is just writing the server in java and decompiling the official rumble fighter client. Then make the server emulate the packets that the official rumble fighter would send. This would be a lot easier, although I wouldn't have the same flexibility as I would if I made my own client. I'm not very experienced in C++/ASM, so this would limit my abilities of modifying the client, I would probably need someone to help me. But I could do the server sided part. The problem with this would be stability and hackers, I would have trouble adding additional content, also the private server would have all the same vulnerabilities to hackers as the official rumblefighter does because of the fact that it would pretty much the exact same as official RF.

Before any 10 year old's say "Herp derp, Ogplanet will sue you, Herp Derp!#@!", I would host all the copyrighted content on a bulletproof dedicated server. I could host the actual server anywhere since I own it. Although the cache is Ogplanet's property and would hosted on the bulletproof server. I have experience hosting copyrighted private servers and have never got shutdown despite receiving multiple DMCA's.

If you would like to talk about the design of this project with me please shoot me a PM.

Please post any spelling/grammar/other errors you find in this post.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it,
    -Energizer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. mofunzon2345

mofunzon2345 New Member

Great idea! Although I don't understand any of the terminology you were saying, I like the idea of an RF private server. It's too bad I'm giving up on playing every game... but I say go for it!
    Just saying, a grammatical error I noticed was in the third paragraph, the last sentence said "Something that rumble fighter didn't do because there cheap and can't afford a decent dedicated server."
    the "there" should really be "they're" just pointing that out.

3. Energizer

Energizer Renown Java Programmer

Thanks, I always get my there/their/they'res mixed up haha.

Send me a PM with parts you don't understand and I'll do my best to reword them for you.
    -Energizer

4. Geroro

Geroro New Member

I know it's possible to make private servers for some games but I don't know if it's possible for RF. Also, if you don't use a VPS, it will lag worse than my grandmother in the morning. Plus RF is a super populated game. So having like 6-10 people on at one time really is no fun. Especially if the moderators have every item and are most of the server's population.